Additional Prius InformationTransmission Repair Dallas
Welcome to the Toyota Prius Battery (TPB) site. Here you'll find links and information pertaining to the Prius battery. This includes how it works, what it costs and modifications you can make to it.
Newest Prius Article
Prius Battery Specifications:
There are two batteries found in a Prius. The first is a lead-acid (Pb-A) 12v accessory battery which is commonly found in most vehicles on the road. The second is the main hybrid driving battery, which is specific to hybrid electric vehicles (HEV) and electric vehicles (EV). We at TPB are primarily concerned with the latter.
Starting in 2004 to the current models, the standard Prius battery is a Panasonic Metal Case Prismatic Module. Prior to 2004 and as early as 2000 the battery used was a Panasonic Plastic Case Prismatic Module. The first generation was sold only in Japan. Of the 70,000 sold a small but significant number of vehicles had problems with the battery pack. Furthermore, the battery pack was so large it took up the entire space between the trunk and the cabin. This led to changes in the Generation II models whose stacks were significantly smaller and far more reliable.
| 97 Prius
| 00 Prius
| 04 Prius
| 2010 Prius
|Cells (Modules)||240 (40)||228 (38)||168 (28)||168 (28)|
|Nominal Voltage||288.0 V||273.6 V||201.6 V||201.6 V|
|Specific Power||800 W/kg||1000 W/kg||1300 W/kg||1310 W/kg|
|Specific Energy||40 Wh/kg||46 Wh/kg||46 Wh/kg||44 Wh/kg|
2012 Toyota Prius C review
Many Toyota Prius users are thrilled by the efficiency the hybrid has to offer, but want just a little more out of their car. As a result, many owners hack their car in order to achieve a variety of results. These include increasing mileage and running on electric power only (called "EV" mode).
While many hacks can be performed by the average user, you should understand the risks involved in the process before modifying your Prius. Often undertaking such modifications will void your car's warranty (most importantly the battery warranty). It is also possible to damage your car if hacked incorrectly.
More information can be found below:
- 01.30.2011 - Prius introducing family of hybrids
- 01.13.2011 - Toyota’s Next Big Battery? Not Lithium, But Perhaps Magnesium
- 01.08.2011 - Old Prius, new Prius put to the test
- 12.20.2010 - Toyota: Nickel Batteries for Hybrids, Lithium for Electric Cars
- 12.02.2010 - Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid Joining New York City DOT Fleets
- 06.04.2010 - Prius plug-in gets tested at PSU
- 02.08.2010 - Why the 2010 Toyota Prius Doesn't Have a Lithium-Ion Battery
- 01.14.2010 - Toyota Prius
- 12.14.2009 - Toyota Prius Plug-in
- 12.03.2009 - Toyota Begins Plug-In Prius Production for Test Program
- 11.20.2009 - Larger Prius to go on sale next year and Subaru has Motor Trend's top SUV pick
- 08.12.2009 - Toyota To Sell Prius in China
- 07.06.2009 - 2010 Toyota Prius Features Solar Powered Roof
- 06.09.2009 - Toyota Wants Third Generation Prius to be Mainstream
- 04.29.2009 - Honda's New Insight Targets the Prius
- MORE >>